Thursday, January 6, 2000

The Metallica "Last Caress" / "So What" Diary, Day 6

Day 6, November 6th


Last night I happened upon their performance of “One” on the 1989 Grammys. Of course I remembered the Jethro Tull moment. I didn’t even know who they were at the time. It was so confusing. It still is, especially looking back at the fact JT also beat out Jane’s Addiction, AC/DC and Iggy Pop. I'm sure any one of those would have softened the blow. But the only thing I had remembered about “One” was how dimly lit and creepy it was. The brilliance of Metallica had not yet set in with me. 


In February of ’89,I was just becoming aware of Metal beyond Whitesnake, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi. My journey into Glam life had just begun with Motley Crue, Guns N’ Roses and Poison. Though Motley and GN'R were wild and had an element of danger about them, I was not ready for a band like Metallica. They were too no-nonsense and a little too dark and threatening for a girl who had just retired from playing with Barbies (some of which ended up having their hair cut and KISS makeup drawn on them during my transition). If I had seen them walking towards me downtown, I would have looked at the ground and fearfully crossed the street. They weren’t ‘tween-friendly to stay the least. My guess is they liked it that way. But even during that broadcast, I knew as a burgeoning little Metalhead that I was obligated to watch and support them. Back then, the Metal community was really looked down upon and misunderstood, so we had to stick together. 


I’m almost sad my self-assignment will end tomorrow. I don’t know how many (if any) will care about anything I’ve written over the past week, but it’s been helpful to me as a writer to have something daily to commit to. Structure is good for me. Even if it’s general fanning out over a band. 


Today’s thoughts on “Last Caress”/“So What”:


-This is the first time I’ve had an ad to sit through on this video. I’m glad it’s for the new Colin Farrell movie and not son of a bitch Wayfair or scary politicians.


-Just the first chord of this song gets me excited because I know what’s about to come. I can’t imagine what MTV felt. Or Metallica diehards. Both probably thought “WTF??” Followed by “YESSSSS” or “NOOOOOO” depending on whether you were a fan or MTV. 


-Is this going to lead me to get a shirt like James? It's just so flattering on him. But I don't lift weights, so maybe not.


-I can’t get over how mischievous James looks with these seemingly evil grins 


-I think that guy in the front row is the only person in the house that knows the music


-Meanwhile they were fine having the Load album art everywhere. They probably didn't what they were looking at. 


-Fantasizing about me intercepting that damn flying flower and throwing it back in the person’s face while yelling “WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU, HIPPIE.” 


-This audience is standing so still that it’s enraging to me


-During “One” on the Grammys I’m pretty sure he got a cuss word in there, as well as at the AMAs in ’97 doing “King Nothing.” #PottymouthJames 



Did it affect my day? 

Just in that when I got angry about something later in the evening, I immediately went to watch that video because I knew it’d make me feel better. 


PS - those aren't my actual Barbies pictured. But it's nice to see other people couldn't resist making them over.