Saturday, July 31, 2021

CONCERT REPORT: Rise Against at Pier 17

Tim McIlrath performs with Rise Against at Pier 17


WELL WELL WELL. My first concert after lockdown finally happened!

Friday night I ventured into the city to see one of my all time favorites, Rise Against! Let me say that the Summer traffic in Manhattan has never been worse. Going in and out of town was a huge drag. But that means the best city in the world is getting back on its feet after a devastating year!

I would have loved to have given you a review of Spanish Love Songs, who opened the set. On the recommendation of a friend and the promising music I checked out on YouTube beforehand, I scheduled myself to get there early. But alas, the gate at the parking lot where I made a reservation decided to conk out and delay my arrival to the beautiful outdoor venue for over a half hour. 

Thankfully, by the time I got through security, I was still able to grab a spot on the barricade for Descendants. While I am embarrassed to admit that the only songs I knew by the legendary Punk band were "Lucky" and "I'm the One," they were still a fun time. I always like seeing bands that have influenced countless others, especially ones that I listen to. So it's nice when a band can still be entertaining, even if I don't know the songs. 

Rise Against was up next, opening the show with "The Numbers," off their latest record "Nowhere Generation." They also played the title track, "Broken Dreams" and "Talking To Ourselves." With lyrics like "It's all just a constant illusion of control/They break us like horses/How long will we drag their plow?" (from The Numbers), and "This place used to be somewhere/But they sold it out from under us/Our voices all ignored", Rise Against has always written about life with a directness that appeals to people who strive for a better world, one that's rooted in truth. Sometimes it feels like it's too much to ask for honesty. It's in those times, Rise Against is a great band to vent frustration to. On this beautiful New York City night, that's just what people did.  

As far as past favorites, the crowd seemed particularly excited for "Audience Of One", which singer Tim McIlrath said had new meaning after Lockdown Life. This was the official first night of this 2021 Summer Tour, preceded only by a small warmup show in Cleveland a few nights earlier. The last time they toured was a whole two years ago, so I'm sure umping back into the life on a breezy evening at the lovely Pier 17 was a great way to kick things off. 

On a personal level, Rise Against from the barricade was a special treat for me, maybe more than usual. It had been a long time since I'd seen a whole show from down front. It was either too difficult to get down there after shooting from the pit, or I was up in the balcony. Being close to the show is always better than watching from far away; it allows you to become one with the music in a much more intimate way, and I can see much better ! 

As for how it was to finally be at a show again, it really didn't feel like it had been 16 months since I'd been to a concert until I got home. While gazing down the street on the drive back into town, I thought about how in the past year+, my big amusement for the night would have been my evening walk. It was then that it clicked how empty things were without shows. Walks are great to shake off life troubles, but obviously it's not as freeing and celebratory as being in a room with the artists and music that have helped you through the bad times. I'm so glad Rise Against was the band to welcome me back. 

Check out my photos below!