Thursday, September 22, 2022

CONCERT REPORT: 4 Nights with My Chemical Romance

Gerard Way singing with My Chemical Romance
Philadelphia, 2022

It has been a roller coaster with this tour. First, when many tours flat out canceled the shows forever back in 2020 until they felt comfortable booking again/knew they could have shows again altogether, they were my only show that said "No. This is going to happen. Come hell or high water." I have never committed to a show 2 years in advance in my life. It was a bizarre feeling. But it was so worth the wait. 

My Chemical Romance coming back to all of us was but a fantasy from 2012 to 2019. Their presence in my life was so missed and so unwelcome I couldn't listen to them for a short while as I grieved the loss. So when they reunited in Los Angeles, I cursed the money gods. But then came the announcement there was a nationwide tour. Sweet relief! Then immediately, concerts were taken away. Sweet pain. But then they were back! But with too many conditions, fears and last minute cancellations still prevalent in the Fall of 2021, MCR decided to postpone another year. Sweet gratitude. At least it was still going to happen. 

Originally, I was only supposed to go to the Philadelphia and Night 2 of Newark. But after Philadelphia and how great it felt seeing them again, I ended up braving an awful thunderstorm to see them in Albany and making my first visit to the Barclay's Center for their first night of two in Brooklyn. The setlist was different each night, which kept it interesting and a daily topic amongst their fans. But not only that, singer Gerard Way was upping the drama with the most inspired and random costumes (sometimes with an accompanying personality) and a new mysterious message on the drum head. Everyone was on the edge of their seat every day to see what happened at that night's show. (this Instagram account is an excellent resource)

I returned multiple times because I'm so scared they won't come back, at least for a long while. I hope they surprise me! There's just something so creative and unexpected about the music this band puts out. The first song put out in this current era, "The Foundations of Decay" is so epic, I can't imagine what else they have up their sleeves.